Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Let the games begin

Since we bought this house, I have despised the kitchen. But I've lived with it. A previous owner was into Country French. We were able to remove blue rug (and expose a gorgeous wood floor,) the flowery drapes, valances and such in other rooms of the house. But the kitchen was a challenge. The kitchen has blue formica countertops that are a bit worse for wear. Someone paneled the walls with diagonal slats of wood and then painted them white. These white panels also make up the backsplash. The floor is wall-to-wall linoleum or vinyl or whatever that stuff is called. It is beige and blue. Someone in this house loved blue. It is coming up at the seam in front of the dishwasher. The ceiling is the piece-de-resistance -- a beigey wallpaper with blue borders that feature pink flowers. I don't do flowery wallpaper, especially flowery wallpaper that's on my ceiling. But I've been at a loss as to how to fix that. Last fall, I took out a student loan for graduate school. It was for more than I needed for school. My plan was to use that money this summer to redo my kitchen. However, my husband lost his job. I am realizing that I can't replace the countertops. I can't have someone come in and redo my floors as I originally hoped. But I am so sick of this kitchen. I bought the dining room chandelier two years ago from Habitat for Humanity. It replaced a bright gold-toned chandelier. The ceiling lights in the kitchen were bought and installed last year. They replaced two boxed neon lights that dropped from the ceiling. The goal is to change this kitchen but do it as inexpensively as possible and do as much of the work ourselves as possible. The theme is faux because I found a product, Giani Granite Paint, to change my blue countertops so they look like granite. I found another product made from plastic that will make ceiling look like it is a tin ceiling. I am hoping that black metal tiles will work for the backsplash. And we're going to put vinyl wood slats on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment