Sunday, July 4, 2010

What to do?

I went to Home Depot and Lowe's yesterday, all set to buy the luan and rent the stapler I needed to do the work. Now I am even more confused. I did not know the staple gun needed an air compressor. So I went into the tools dept. to see if they had anything powerful enough to do the work. An employee asked if I needed help. I told him what I was doing, and he said the staple gun that required an air compressor was the right tool. He brought me to a flooring guy. The flooring guy you can't put another layer of vinyl on two existing ones. I had to strip the top layer of vinyl and then put the luan down on that. He described the machine/tool I needed to rent to remove that layer. I left and went to Lowe's. The flooring guy there was a former student! (I did not recognize him! He recognized me! But after he told me his last name, I remembered him. He was a good kid with great parents.) And he assured me that code allowed three layers of vinyl on a floor without using luan. I asked about his experience and he said he's been doing flooring since getting out of high school. And then let's not forget Wade who told me I could put luan on top of the two layers of vinyl. A friend suggested hiring a contractor. That's beginning to sound better and better. However, the budget may not allow for that. We're now thinking of just putting the vinyl over the existing vinyl and then change things in the future. It can't be any worse than what we have right now, right? Plus these vinyl slabs were such a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment